Coming to America is still a great fish-out-of-water comedy. Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall are a perfect comedic duo and we loved their multiple characters (especially Randy Watson of Sexual Chocolate and Reverend Brown).
SPOILER ALERT! Watch the movie before proceeding.
Lessons Learned from Coming to America
Listen to our episode on Coming to America
Dusty: Get In Good with the father or best friend (as Hitch would say).
- They aren’t the ultimate decision maker, but they could positively influence your love’s feelings for you.
Sky: Don’t judge a place by its name.
- Queens… real crap whole (apparently). Hawaiian Gardens in LA… crap hole for sure.
We loved Akeem’s ever-positive and wise nature (played perfectly by Eddie Murphy).
Dusty: Don’t go to bars to find a good woman.
- Good call here. Find wholesome women like at bowling alleys, church and Whole Foods.
Sky: Don’t pop the question unless you know she’ll say yes.
- Don’t be a dumb-ass like Daryl and try to sneak the engagement in via Mr. McDowell.
Let us know in the comments below if you met your soul mate in a bar. Maybe someone like this…
Dusty: Your first reaction is usually the correct one.
- Your natural reaction speaks to how you really feel about something.
Sky: It’s good to be the king.
- King Jaffe Joffer can change the traditions if he wants. “Who am I to change it?” C’mon buddy, you da king! You can do what you want.
Man, we love King Joffe Joffer’s lion stole (played by the legendary James Earl Jones)
Rotten Tomatoes scores:
- The Audience: 85%
- The Critics: 67%
- A from Sky
- A+ from Dusty
Check out the IMDB page for more info.
Check out last week’s episode on Kingsman: The Secret Service.