Green Street Hooligans is a violent yet compelling movie about having your friend’s back and never backing down from a fight. Definitely worth watching for the story line and seeing Elijah Wood’s soft character of Matt Buckner grow under the wing of Charlie Hunnam’s tough-as-nails character Pete Dunham.
SPOILER ALERT! Watch the movie before proceeding.
Life Lessons Learned from Green Street Hooligans
Listen to our episode on Green Street Hooligans
Sky: Never leave a mate behind.
- Loyalty is important in this life; to your friends, your family, your country.
Dusty: Giving is better than receiving.
- It’s great knowing your friends have your back, but as Matt Buckner (Elijah Wood) says, it’s even better knowing you have their backs.
Sky: Get a hint.
- When a legendary ruffian (Tommy Hatcher played by Geoff Bell) tells you to “shut your yammer” with 4 tough blokes backing him, do it!
Dusty: Don’t let how others view you dictate your life.
- Pete’s and the GSE’s mission to have the best rep among all the firms led to his eventual death.
Matt Buckner (Elijah Wood) goes from a weak “journo” to a tough street fighter.
Sky: Don’t take it easy on kids and let them win.
- If winning is difficult, they’ll work harder for it. Self esteem is better when it comes from accomplishments than via somebody giving you the win.
Dusty: We learn so much more through failure than through winning.
- Examining your losses, finding your mistakes and working to not repeat them are critical for growth.
Rotten Tomatoes scores:
- The Audience: 87%
- The Critics: 47%
- A from Sky
- A from Dusty
Check out the IMDB page for more info.
Check out last week’s episode on The Naked Gun (1988).