Shazam! was a fun origin story with a character we knew nothing about. They nailed the humor and the humanity with this foster family turned super hero family story. Definitely a worthy inclusion in the DCEU.
SPOILER ALERT! Watch the movie before proceeding.
Lessons Learned from Shazam!
Sky: Everyone is more understanding if you step out ahead and admit your foibles.
- The name Shazam is pretty child-like, and the fact that they poked fun at it in the movie (when Billy laughed at the name) and the trailer gets the audience on their side.
Dusty: Stand up for the little guy
- It took the mention of a “mom”, but Billy turned back and stood up for Freddy against the bullies. If someone can’t defend himself, step up and lend a hand.
Not exactly heroic… yet
Sky: Kids need to feel loved, accepted and wanted.
- Without his mother’s love, Billy Batson felt lost and alone in the world. For all the parents out there, it’s very easy to show your child you love them.
Dusty: No matter what situation you are in, act cool.
- Don’t let ’em see you sweat, nor that you don’t know what you’re doing! But, it makes sense that a 14 year old wouldn’t be able to keep his cool when given super hero powers.
Sky: Closure isn’t worth striving for.
- Billy spent every moment looking for his mom. Not exactly looking for closure, but to fill a gap in his soul. Looking for closure means you probably live a life of regret and you’re also living in the past. “Live in the NOW!”
Dusty: Look to the help of your family and friends.
- Billy found his family and they all worked together to defeat Dr. Sivana and the 7 Deadly Sins.
Let us know what you think of the movie or any lessons you learned that we missed by commenting below. Or, you can visit out Watch and Learn Facebook Page and comment there.
Learn more about this movie from IMDB.
What a consensus! 91% and 90% Rotten Tomatoes. We agree.
Sky has chosen Ace Ventura: Pet Detective as the next movie we’ll learn from.
If you missed it, last week we re-aired Deadpool 2.